Design a Colorwork Sweater: Tin Can Knits’ Strange Brew (Section A)
Instructor: Amy Wentley
Saturdays: February 22, March 7 & 21, April 25, 2020; 10:00 am -12:00 noon.
Note: We are offering two separate sections of this popular class; please be sure to note the correct dates and times for the section you enroll in!
Join us for a fun design class full of imagination, ideas and color!
Strange Brew is a wonderful book by Alexa Ludeman and Emily Wessel that guides you through designing and knitting your own custom colorwork sweater. It offers instructions for 25 sizes and 3 gauges as well as inspiration for color and motif.
This class will focus on design. By the last session you should be ready cast on and knit your own personal design. Topics covered in the class will include options for your consideration (yarn weight, motif design and distribution, size, fit), choosing motifs and colors (exploring different motifs, color theory, touring the different yarns and colors at HYS, yoke recipes) and building your pattern (swatching, modifications, composing, charting, tracking).
Experience: Students should have experience knitting colorwork items and either a top-down or bottom-up sweater in the round.
- Strange Brew, by Alexa Ludeman and Emily Wessel, available to purchase at the shop
- A notebook (preferably graph paper) to take notes and sketch design ideas.
- Some colored pencils or pens.
- A cloth measuring tape. A small ruler (the HYS needle gauge is fine).
- Refunds or store credits for pre-paid class registrations can be made only if we are notified at least two weeks in advance of the beginning of class.
- Missed classes will not be made up unless the instructor was unable to teach or the shop was closed for inclement weather.
- Refunds or store credits for missed classes cannot be made.