Drop Shoulder Pullover: The Weekender (Section A)
Instructor: Amy Wentley
Saturdays: October 19, November 2, December 7, 2019, and January 4 and 25, 2020; 10:00 am - 12:00 noon.
Note: We are offering two separate sections of this popular class; please be sure to note the correct dates and times for the section you enroll in!
the opportunity to learn the tubular cast on and bind off, three needle bind off, Kitchener stitch, and short rows. The sweater is knit in the round from the bottom hem to the arm holes and then separated to work the front and back. The sleeves are picked up and knit in the round.
- Pattern: "The Weekender," by Andrea Mowry, available to purchase on Ravelry
- Yarn: Worsted weight yarn that knits up at 18 sts = 4", such as Brooklyn Tweed Shelter (50 g/140 yd). "The Weekender" comes in the following sizes: 39.5 (44, 48.5, 52, 56.5)(60, 64.5, 68, 72.5)” circumference at bust. You'll need 915 (1015, 1130, 1265, 1385)(1520, 1640, 1790, 1910) yards for the project. We will be working on a gauge swatch in the first class, so please purchase your yarn and wind at least one skein beforehand.
- Needles: Three different needle sizes are required for this sweater. Come to class with a US 9 (5.5 mm) circular needle (any length) made from the material you most like to work with (wood or metal). We'll do a gauge swatch in class. You'll need one needle size for the main fabric of the garment, a needle size 0.5 mm smaller for the ribbing (the pattern suggests US 8, 5 mm), and a needle size 0.5 mm smaller than that for the tubular cast-on (the pattern suggests US 7, 4.5 mm). You'll need one 40" circular needle and a set of DPNs for each needle size. For the most accurate measure of gauge for this sweater, Amy recommends doing a swatch in the round. To do this, you'll need a 16-inch circular needle of the same type (wood or metal) that you intend to work the sweater with. Needles can be purchased from the shop after your gauge is determined.
- Notions: Stitch markers (3), tapestry needle, scissors, stitch holders or waste yarn, and a row counter is recommendedMaterials are available for purchase here at the shop.
- Refunds or store credits for pre-paid class registrations can be made only if we are notified at least two weeks in advance of the beginning of class.
- Missed classes will not be made up unless the instructor was unable to teach or the shop was closed for inclement weather.
- Refunds or store credits for missed classes cannot be made.