Instructor: Amy Wentley
Saturdays: August 3, 17, September 14, and October 5, 2019; 1:00 - 3:00 pm.
The Hitofude Cardigan is a graceful lace garment with a lovely drape suitable for any occasion. The lace pattern is very simple, but the construction is intriguing. This project is perfect for both an adventurous beginner or a seasoned knitter.
As implied by the name “Hitofude,” meaning a single brush stroke in Japanese, this open front cardigan is worked in one “yarn stroke” -- a continuous strand without cutting the yarn. Knitting starts from the upper body and sleeves worked together in a rectangular piece, then moves to lower body, where the lace pattern increases evenly, creating a gentle drape. You'll learn with the support of a teacher how to do a provisional cast on, three-needle bind off, increases, and chart reading.
Experience: Students should be very comfortable knitting and purling. Some lace experience helpful but not required.
- Pattern: "Hitofude Cardigan," by Hiroko Fukatsu, for sale as a Ravelry download for about $2.00.
- Yarn: Fingering weight yarn, preferably a type that drapes well in a solid color, such as Shibui Staccato. Students new to lace knitting will find it easier to work with lighter colors. 840 to 1700 yards depending on size of garment desired.
- If you are new to lace knitting, please bring some fingering-weight yarn for practicing.
- Needles: 32" US size 4 (3.5 mm) circular needle, or size to obtain correct gauge. We will work on a gauge swatch in the first class.
- Notions: At least 5 stitch markers (you'll probably use more), crochet hook (3.25 mm), tapestry needle, spare double pointed needles or circular needle (same size or smaller than main needle), 2 waste yarns (fingering weight). Optional: 1 button (1/2~5/8”)
Materials are available to purchase here at the shop.
- Refunds for pre-paid class registrations can be made only if we are notified at least two weeks in advance of the beginning of class.
- Missed classes will not be made up unless the instructor was unable to teach or the shop was closed for inclement weather.
- Refunds for missed classes cannot be made.