Intricately Cabled Cardigan: Norah Gaughan’s “Geiger” (Section A)
Instructor: Amy Wentley
Section A: Saturdays, May 4 and 18, June 22, July 27 and August 31, 2019; 10:00 am - 12:00 pm.
Note: We are offering three separate sections of this popular class; please be sure to note the correct dates and times for the section you enroll in!
Norah Gaughan's "Geiger" is an intricate cabled cardigan, tailored for a perfect fit. Decorated with medallion cables, traveling columns of ribbing, twisted rib button bands and a picot bind-off, this is an ornate design to delight and challenge the advanced knitter. Join Amy's class for guidance and instruction as you tackle this sweater!
Experience: This is a class for experienced knitters. Students should be comfortable casting on and binding off, knitting and purling, reading charts, doing increases and decreases and knitting cables.
Techniques covered: Binding off in pattern, increasing and decreasing, German short rows, reading complex charts, maintaining complex patterns, working multiple concurrent instructions, picking up stitches, rib cabled cast on, sloped bind off, and picot bind off.
- Pattern: "Geiger," by Norah Gaughan, print copies available here at the shop; also available as a download from Ravelry.
- Yarn: "Geiger" comes in the following sizes: 33½ (36½, 40½, 45, 49, 53)" circumference at bust. It calls for Brooklyn Tweed Arbor — 100% American Targhee Wool (145 yards/50 grams) 12 (13, 14, 16, 18, 19) skeins 1655 (1775, 1980, 2305, 2540, 2755) total yards of DK weight wool yarn. We suggest avoiding extremely dark colors, because the cables won't show well. If you choose to substitute yarn, choose one with good stitch definition. Come by the shop to select your yarn well in advance of class, so we can be sure to have the amount you need!
- Needles: The first two classes will cover gauge. The pattern suggests any style of needles in US 5 and 3 to knit the majority of the sweater, and you should bring those to the first class. You may need to purchase different size needles than those you originally came to class with depending on your gauge. We're happy to help you choose the needles you will need.
- Notions: Stitch markers, locking stitch markers or coil-less safety pins, stitch holders or waste yarn, cable needle same size or smaller than project needle, T-pins, spare size 5 needle (or size needed to obtain gauge) for joinery bind off, three ½" buttons, blunt tapestry needle.
Materials are available to purchase here at the shop.
- Refunds for pre-paid class registrations can be made only if we are notified at least two weeks in advance of the beginning of class.
- Missed classes will not be made up unless the instructor was unable to teach or the shop was closed for inclement weather.
- Refunds for missed classes cannot be made.