Knits and Purls: “Newhaven” Gansey
Instructor: Nancy Cavender
Saturdays: June 29, July 13, August 10, September 7, and October 5, 2019; 10:00 am - 12:00 pm.
Join Nancy in knitting "Newhaven," a traditional gansey sweater. Beth Brown-Reinsel has updated her classic book, Knitting Ganseys, and provides us with a beautiful sweater for learning traditional gansey techniques. "Newhaven" is knit in the round to the armholes, knit flat to the shoulders, joined, and then the sleeves are knitted down from the armholes. The knit-purl patterning will keep things interesting while we make our way through the specific construction of this sweater.
Nancy will teach the following techniques: Channel Island Cast-on, Garter-Stitch Welt, Six-Stitch Seam, Horizontal Pattern Panels, Bisected Reverse St st Underarm Gussets, Unshaped Neckline, Three-Needle Bind-off, Inverted Triangular Neck Gusset, SSK Bind-off.
Experience: Students should be comfortable knitting, purling, and reading a knitting chart.
- Book: Knitting Ganseys, by Beth Brown-Reinsel; the book contains not only the pattern for "Newhaven," but also detailed gansey sweater history and techniques.
- Yarn: "Newhaven" is a unisex pullover that comes in the following sizes: 34" (38", 42", 46", 50", 54)" chest circumference. You'll need worsted spun sport or DK weight yarn, knit to 24 sts = 4" gauge; 1209 (1500, 1718, 1896, 2145, 2409) yards. Nancy recommends Brooklyn Tweed Arbor or Kelbourne Woolens Scout.
- Needles: US 2 (2.75 mm) needles, 16" circular and a set of double pointed needles. US 3 (3.25 mm) needles, 16" and 32" circular and set of double pointed needles, or size to obtain gauge and one size smaller.
- Notions: stitch markers, tapestry needle.
Materials are available to purchase here at the shop; please come by to select your yarn and color by June 2nd so we can be sure to get it for you if it's not already in stock!
- Refunds or store credits for pre-paid class registrations can be made only if we are notified at least two weeks in advance of the beginning of class.
- Missed classes will not be made up unless the instructor was unable to teach or the shop was closed for inclement weather.
- Refunds or store credits for missed classes cannot be made.