Men’s Shawl Collar Cardigan: “Slade,” by Michele Wang
Instructor: Marsha Krzyzewski
Saturdays: May 9 and 23, June 20, July 18, and August 22, 2020; 1:00 - 3:00 pm.
Join Marsha in knitting "Slade," designed by Michele Wang for Brooklyn Tweed. "Slade" is a men's stockinette cardigan trimmed in ribbing and a shawl collar, worked in pieces and seamed together. It's simple, but with thoughtful details; Marsha will teach the tubular cast-on, twisted stitch selvedge, and buttonholes.
Experience: Students should be comfortable casting on and binding off, knitting and purling, increasing and decreasing. No previous sweater-making experience is required. Be prepared to knit a gauge swatch in stockinette, and block it before the class starts - bring it the first day and Marsha will help you measure and interpret it.
- Pattern: "Slade," by Michele Wang, available to purchase on Ravelry
- Yarn: Worsted weight yarn that knits up to a gauge of 18 sts = 4"; we recommend Brooklyn Tweed Shelter. "Slade" comes in the following sizes: 37¼ (40½, 44¼, 47½, 51½, 54¾)" circumference at chest. You'll need 1235 (1345, 1465, 1580, 1680, 1820) total yards of worsted weight wool yarn.
- Needles: US 8 24" or 32" circular needle (or size needed to obtain gauge), US 5 40" circular needle (or three sizes smaller than gauge needle).
- Notions: Stitch markers, blunt tapestry needle, three 1 1/4" buttons, sewing needle and matching thread (for sewing on buttons), a small amount of sock yarn in a similar color for seaming. If working Tubular Cast On, you will also require smooth waste yarn (fingering weight cotton, silk, or bamboo yarn). You may use another cast on if desired, omitting this tool. Materials are available for purchase here at the shop.
- Refunds and store credits for pre-paid class registrations can be made only if we are notified at least two weeks in advance of the beginning of class.
- Missed classes will not be made up unless the instructor was unable to teach or the shop was closed for inclement weather.
- Refunds and store credits for missed classes cannot be made.