Stranded, Steeked and Structured Cardigan: Jared Flood’s “Galloway” (Section D)
Instructor: Amy Wentley
Section D: Saturdays: March 23 and April 13, 2019, from 1:00-3:00 pm; May 18, from 3:00-5:00 pm; June 8 and July 13, 2019, from 1:00-3:00 pm.
Take on the challenge of an all-over colorwork sweater with steeks for an open front - all with Amy's guidance and instruction. Jared Flood's "Galloway" features Scandinavian-style colorwork, a deep V neckline, and open fronts that can be overlapped and belted, or left to hang open. Raglan shaping at the yoke keeps the fit tidy. Worked in the round from the bottom up, with a steek, this pattern teaches and hones advanced knitting skills. It calls for four shades of Shelter, and the BT team have created eight color combinations for this pattern; choose one or create your own, and rest assured that only one round of the chart uses three colors at once.
Experience: Students should be comfortable casting on and binding off, knitting and purling in the round, reading charts, and doing basic increases and decreases. Some experience with stranded knitting and sweater knitting will be extremely helpful, but not required.
Techniques covered: Steeks, binding off in pattern, 1x1 Tubular Cast On, Rib Cabled Cast On, 1x1 Tubular Bind Off, reading complex charts, Kitchener Stitch, Sloped Bind Off, One-Row Buttonhole.
- Pattern:"Galloway," by Jared Flood, print copies available here at the shop; also available as a download from Ravelry
- Yarn: "Galloway" comes in the following sizes: 33 (38, 43, 47½, 52½, 57)“ bust circumference. It calls for Brooklyn Tweed Shelter (worsted weight, 140 yards/50 grams) in the following quantities depending upon garment size -- 7 (8, 9, 10, 11, 12) skeins of Color 1 (C1); 1 (2, 2, 2, 2, 2) skein(s) of Color 2 (C2); 1 skein of Color 3 (C3); 1 (1, 2, 2, 2, 2) skein(s) of Color 4 (C4). Come by the shop to select your yarn well in advance of class, so we can be sure to have the amount you need!
- Needles: You will need an assortment of needles to complete the sweater. The first two classes will cover gauge. The pattern suggests needles in US 7 and 8 to knit the majority of the sweater, and you should bring those to the first class. You may need to purchase different size needles than those you originally came to class with depending on your gauge; we recommend waiting to buy all the needles for the sweater until you've established your gauge. We're happy to help you choose the needles you will need.
- Notions: Stitch markers, stitch holders or waste yarn, T-pins (optional), four 3/4" buttons (optional), blunt tapestry needle, size E-4 crochet hook. For tubular cast on, you will also require smooth waste yarn (sport or DK-weight cotton, silk or bamboo yarn).
Materials are available to purchase here at the shop.
- Refunds for pre-paid class registrations can be made only if we are notified at least two weeks in advance of the beginning of class.
- Missed classes will not be made up unless the instructor was unable to teach or the shop was closed for inclement weather.
- Refunds for missed classes cannot be made.