Toe-up, Two-at-a-Time, Magic Loop Socks
Instructor: Robin Bibby
Sundays: January 19 and 26, February 9 and 23, 2020; 1:00-3:00 pm.
Take your knitting to the next level with these basic toe-up socks! This class is designed to help knitters polish their Magic Loop technique while learning toe-up sock construction. The original Magic Loop technique employs one long circular needle in lieu of double point needles, while the modified technique uses two shorter circular needles. Learn how to knit 2 socks at a time with either Magic Loop approach. Three sizes are available for adults in small, medium and large. Robin will teach toe-up sock construction, knitting in the round with circular needles, knitting 2 socks at a time, Judy’s Magic cast on, increases and decreases, binding off, and using stitch markers and row counters to track your work.
Experience: Students should be comfortable knitting and purling. Previous experience
knitting in the round with circular needles is a plus but not required. For proper sizing, a
4”x4” swatch should be knit prior to class and needle size adjusted as needed to obtain
the required gauge of 7 stitches per inch.
- "Fingering Toe-Up Magic Loop Socks" pattern, by Liat Gat,
available for free on Ravelry. Robin will also provide print copies at start of class.
- 350-400 yards fingering weight/sock yarn. A high twist plied superwash wool or wool blend is strongly recommended.
- 40” or 47” circular needle size US 1 or 2 for original Magic Loop method, OR two 24” or
32” circular needles size US 1 or 2 for modified Magic Loop method.
- Tape measure
- Row counter
- Stitch markers – including a few removable pin style markers
- Tapestry needle
Materials are available to purchase here at the shop.
- Refunds and store credits for pre-paid class registrations can be made only if we are notified at least two weeks in advance of the beginning of class.
- Missed classes will not be made up unless the instructor was unable to teach or the shop was closed for inclement weather.
- Refunds and store credits for missed classes cannot be made.