Twisted Rib and Lace: Ensata Scarf & Cowl
Instructor: Amy Wentley
Saturdays: October 5, 19, and November 2, 2019; 3:00 - 5:00 pm.
Here is a chance to combine knitted lace and twisted ribbing in a botanical design, Amy van de Laar's "Ensata Scarf & Cowl." You can choose to use either lace-weight or fingering-weight yarn to create either a scarf or a cowl. In class we'll learn knitted lace stitches, how to knit from charts, how to knit in the round, and various cast-on and bind-off options. You'll also learn tips for how to keep track of your progress and fix mistakes.
Experience: Students should be very comfortable knitting and purling.
- Pattern: "Ensata Scarf & Cowl," by Amy van de Laar, available to purchase on Ravelry
- For practice: Worsted weight wool yarn in a light color.
- For the project: A worsted-spun lace or fingering weight yarn like Brooklyn Tweed Vale (100% American Rambouillet Wool; 450 yards/50 grams) or Brooklyn Tweed Peerie (100% American Merino Wool; 210 yards/50 grams). You'll need approximately 1350 yds of lace-weight yarn for a scarf, about 1260 yds of fingering-weight yarn for a scarf or about 420 yards of fingering-weight yarn for a cowl. We suggest you avoid very dark colors like navy blue or black, as lighter colors are easier for learning lace knitting.
- Needles: We will be starting a gauge swatch in the first class. Bring one skein of your project yarn already wound and start with a US Size 5 needle for lace-weight yarn or US Size 4 needle for fingering weight yarn. Choose a 32" circular needle made from the material you most like to work with (wood or metal). The appropriate size needle can be purchased from the shop after your gauge is determined.
- Notions: Approximately 10 stitch markers, T-pins (optional), blocking wires (optional), blunt tapestry needle.Materials are available for purchase here at the shop.
- Refunds or store credits for pre-paid class registrations can be made only if we are notified at least two weeks in advance of the beginning of class.
- Missed classes will not be made up unless the instructor was unable to teach or the shop was closed for inclement weather.
- Refunds or store credits for missed classes cannot be made.