One of our special attractions for this year’s Triangle Yarn Crawl is a collection of garments made by knitters in our community – folks who work, teach, and shop here at the Hillsborough Yarn Shop. The theme is colorwork, interpreted somewhat broadly to include not only fair isle, but also intarsia, double knitting, brioche, log cabin and short-row-shaped patterns made with self-striping yarns.
It’s an inspiring group – come by the shop during the Triangle Yarn Crawl to see the following garments:
- “Barrington Vest,” by Jared Flood, knit with Brooklyn Tweed Loft. Made by Amy, who taught several classes on this vest at our shop last year.
- “Bousta Beanie,” by Gudrun Johnston, knit with Tukuwool Fingering. Made by Julia, which is to say myself, the author of this blog.
- “Dog Star,” by tincanknits, knit with Malabrigo Arroyo. Made by myself.
- “Dreambird KAL,” by Nadita Swings, knit with Kauni Effektgarn and Shibui Staccato. Made by Amy, who taught several classes on this shawl at our shop over the past couple of years.
- “Fancy Hen,” by Ella Austin, knit with Baa Ram Ewe Dovestone DK. Made by Amy, who taught a class on the subject at our shop earlier this year.
- “Flowers of Life,” by Ron Schweitzer, knit with Jamieson’s Shetland Spindrift. Made by Nancy, who occasionally teaches fair isle knitting classes here at our shop.
- Log cabin blanket, based on Sarah Bradberry’s “Log Cabin Square,” knit with Noro Kureyon and Plymouth Galway. Made by Rosi, who works at our shop most Sundays.
- “Rionnag Cowl,” by Kerry Bullock-Ozkan, a local designer who knit this piece with Tukuwool Fingering.
- “Second Grace,” by Bristol Ivy, knit with Brooklyn Tweed Shelter. Made by myself.
- “Sheep Heid,” by Kate Davies, knit with Jamieson’s Shetland Spindrift. Made by Nancy, who taught a class on this hat at our shop several years ago.
- “Spring,” by Marianne Isager, knit with Isager Spinni. Made by Rosi.
- “St. Brendan,” by Courtney Kelley, knit with Fibre Co. Arranmore. Made by Amy, who taught several classes on this sweater at our shop last year.
We’ve also pulled together some of our tried and true colorwork samples from around the shop – Anne’s “Candy Darling” in Fibre Company Arranmore Light, Amy’s “First Footing” in Jamieson’s Shetland Spindrift and “Mix No. 23” in Shibui Cima, my “Cliff Hat” in Shibui Pebble, “Autumn Tam” in Jamieson’s Shetland Spindrift, and “2 Color Cotton Cowl” in Fyberspates Scrumptious 4ply.
It’s so exciting to see this riot of color covering our walls – many thanks to the talented knitters who lent their garments to this show!