We are delighted to announce that Brooklyn Tweed’s newest yarn has arrived!
Meet Ranch 02, the second in Brooklyn Tweed’s series of ranch-specific, small-batch yarns.
Ranch 02 is a worsted weight, woolen-spun, limited edition, ranch-specific Rambouillet yarn, which means every fiber in these skeins was sourced from a single flock of sheep living on Forbes Ranch in Kaycee, Wyoming.
Brooklyn Tweed has always sought to highlight single breed wools and support US ranchers with sustainable environmental practices. This project allows them to shine a spotlight on the people and practices behind their yarns, one ranch at a time. You can learn more about Forbes Ranch from a lovely video produced by BT – it gives a good sense of the people who made this yarn possible.
After the wool was sourced at Forbes Ranch in Wyoming, scoured at Bollman Industries in Texas, and spun at Crescent Woolen Mill in Wisconsin, it traveled to Pennsylvania to be dyed at Caledonian Dye Works. The 10-color palette is inspired by the landscape of northern Wyoming, and the sheep that roam the land.
What to knit with Ranch 02? Anything that calls for Shelter, Ranch 01, or worsted weight yarn of any kind. Here are a few ideas from the BT archive, all available to purchase from Ravelry and many available in print here at the shop:
- “Guernsey Wrap,” by Jared Flood – rectangular shawl with bands of knit/purl texture patterns – this is our Brooklyn Tweed Sample of the Month for October, hurry in to see it in person!
- “Furrow Hat and Cowl,” by Jared Flood – hat and oversized cowl with cable and moss stitch panels
- “Far Hills Hat and Scarf,” by Jared Flood – cabled hat and scarf
- “Grettir,” by Jared Flood – colorwork yoke pullover
Looking beyond Brooklyn Tweed designs, here are a few other patterns that would be great for Ranch 02:
- “Humulus,” by Isabell Kraemer – colorwork yoke pullover
- “Antler Hat,” by Tin Can Knits – cabled hat in sizes from baby to adult large
- “Hipster Shawl,” by Joji Locatelli – garter stitch shawl with drop-stitch lace
- “The Weekender,” by Andrea Mowry – reverse stockinette pullover with slip stitch detail
Jared Flood has also designed two new patterns especially for Ranch 02, a textured yoke pullover and a cabled hat. As a special treat, you can get a coupon for a free download of Flood’s “Tillage Hat” with any purchase of Ranch 02 here at our shop!
Look for Ranch 02 in the worsted weight section here at our shop while supplies last, and check out our full selection of Brooklyn Tweed yarns and patterns while you’re here. See you at the shop!