Brooklyn Tweed yarns are now available at the Hillsborough Yarn Shop! We’re starting with Shelter, Loft, and Arbor, and introducing each one on the blog this week. Today, meet Loft.
Brooklyn Tweed Loft is a fingering weight, woolen-spun Targhee-Columbia wool. Loft is named for one of its best qualities, and like Shelter, it’s somewhat delicate, but especially warm for its weight.
We have all 37 colors of Loft in stock, a playground for the eyes. Like Shelter, these shades are created by dyeing the fiber in 16 vibrant solids, then blending them, two or three at a time, into intricate heathers.
Ever since Clara Parkes reviewed Loft back in 2011 and described it as “pretty much perfect,” I’ve been anxious to get my hands on it. Now that it’s here at the shop, I’ve been combing through years of my favorites on Ravelry, considering which Loft pattern I’d most like to start with. Here are some of the many:
- “Tessera,” from Jared Flood’s Woolens, a colorwork cowl
- “Maurits,” by Andrea Rangel, another colorwork cowl
- “Jujika,” from Olga Buraya-Kefelian’s Capsule, yet another colorwork cowl
- “Flight,” by Sarah Pope, a Bohus-inspired colorwork yoke pullover
- “Prime,” by Michele Wang, a welted pullover
- “Benton,” by Julie Hoover, a boxy striped pullover
- “Eno,” by Jared Flood, a cabled cap
- “Seeds Hat,” from Jared Flood’s Woolens, a colorwork cap
- “34th & 8th,” by SpillyJane, colorwork mittens
You can tell from this selection that I have a special fondness for stranded colorwork, and while Loft is especially well-suited to that technique, it’s just as happy to render lace or texture patterns, along with simple stockinette. Case in point: Anne has her eye on “Hellebore,” by Michele Wang, a pullover with stockinette body and cabled sleeves. In fact, she has already eagerly knit a swatch, and all that’s left is to choose a color – a fun, hard decision with so many beautiful shades at our fingertips.
All of these Brooklyn Tweed patterns (and so many more!) are available as Ravelry In-Store Pattern Sales, where you purchase the pattern here at the shop and a digital copy is saved in your email and/or Ravelry pattern library. We’ll print a copy for you, too, so you can head right home and cast on. Look for more Loft pattern inspiration on our Fingering weight Pinterest board!
Look for Brooklyn Tweed Loft in the fingering weight section here at the shop. See you there!